My understanding of the yacht damage "waiver" is that it reduces your exposure but does not eliminate it. You still have to leave a security deposit and your liability is limited to the security deposit you pay. Essentially you're buying a lower deductible. You don't have to buy the "waiver" but if you pass on it you have to put down a $10,000+ deposit so I think they just assume everyone will want to purchase the waiver.

That said, I tend to get a little nervous when returning a charter boat as there is ALWAYS some sort of damage from previous charters such as scratches on the hull, paint rubbed off the keel, chipped gellcoat from dropped winches, etc... I've always received my deposit back but I'm waiting for the day when they claim I was responsible for damage that I didn't do. I guess I should be sure on the briefing to note any damage to the boat (and dive the hull to check the bottom?), but we are always in such a hurry to get off the dock that it never happens. On our last charter we didn't even go through the boat inventory - I just signed on the dotted line...

NeilCanada - There will be boat boys pretty much wherever you go (outside of Grenada), but we found them to be much more considerate once we were south of St. Vincent. We just chalked it up to a charter expense and utilized their services. Just make sure everyone on the boat knows not to lead them on if they aren't truly interested in what they are selling.