https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b706/abd18ec9b00d7f823e7ffdef258c61bf6562.pdf

Just wanted to give another perspective. I am not trying to offend anyone. As a researcher I am always skeptical of articles that gives no scientific data to prove their assumptions. I am an environmental chemist working in Bureau of Safe Drinking Water in one of the fifty states. There is an adage, “the difference between a poison and cure is in the concentration”. Meaning nothing is pure, you will find lead, thallium, arsenic, cyanide and benzene or any other hazardous substance in drinking water. The concertation’s of the hazardous substances are below the level which causes adverse health effects.
The Canadian website gives real scientific study with data and concentrations of BPH in bottle water, and what concentrations that a person might be at risk. The Canadian study concluded:

The provisional tolerable daily intake (TDI) of 25 μg/kg body weight/day has been pre-established by Health Canada as a conservatively safe level for BPA presence in food and was confirmed in the 2008 Health Risk Assessment of BPA from Food Packaging Applications+.
The contribution of BPA levels in bottled water to the overall exposure is negligible for the general population, and the consumption of water from polycarbonate carboys does not pose a safety concern. Based on the average BPA level found in polycarbonate bottled water products (1.5 μg/L*), an adult (60 kg body weight) (132.3 lbs.) would have to consume approximately 1000 L (264 gal) of bottled water from polycarbonate carboys in one day to approach the TDI set by Health Canada’s Food Directorate. For the specific population who consume water packaged only in polycarbonate carboys, the exposure to BPA would increase from 0.18 to 0.22 μg/kg body weight assuming an average of 1.5 μg/L* of BPA in polycarbonate bottled water and an average daily water consumption of 1.5 L.

The results of this (Canadian) survey clearly indicate that exposure to BPA through the consumption of bottled water would be extremely low. The low levels of BPA found in polycarbonate bottled water products available for sale in Canada confirm Health
Canada’s previous assessment conclusion that the current dietary exposure to BPA through food packaging uses is not expected to pose a health risk to the general population.

From my research, if a person drinks 40 gallons of water a day the water intake will kill them before they drink 100 gallons of water that contains BPH. Even if you triple or double the concertation of a refilled water bottle you will never reach BPA TDI intake.

As far as microbiocidal contamination from straws and reused water bottles; I would be more worried about bacteria that I encounter in an international airport, food preparation in a foreign country or on a plane traveling to SXM.