Thanks for your input....what we have is a every other year vacation membership at a four season resort in Canada. Its located an hour from where we live. We rarely ever use it at that resort. It was dirt cheap and the maintenance fees are reasonable. So, every other year we exchange thru RCI to get a 2 or 3 bedroom week in SXM, cause that is the only place we like to take a winter vacation, usually in January of the year. Since 2005, we have never had a problem. For instance,,,a 3 bedroom at Royal Palm or La Vista Beach, or even once a penthouse at Saphhire,,,cost us approx 600 Canadian for the week plus our exchange fee of 199 u.s. thru RCI. This to me was and still is a great deal. We dont have to vacation every year to get use of our maintenance fees,,,but we can if we pay the in between year.
I am just finding that this year it seems to be an issue of no availability? I have to assume because of some of the resorts not operational due to Irma. I have always deposited my week into RCI early, because as I said, we rarely use the home resort in Canada, although we have during the winter months for a snowmobiling trip. So I hesitate to call it a timeshare that we have,,,its a little different.Not sure if that makes sense to you or not? Nevertheless,,,what carol said about time of year also makes sense to me. WE would never travel to sxm in the summer months or in hurricane season, so that is probably where we end up with fewer options....I appreciate the feedback on this forum,,,always good to hear of how others have manouvered the system, lol. Thank you

Randy and Meg Young