Even if it is a one time fee, it demonstrates that the actual owners of Belair (New York City attorneys) can make up their own rules as they wish.

They are not using Irma to do this. They are claiming that "infrastructure repairs and improvements", which my lease says are part of my maintenance fee are the reason for the assessment. Again, I choose to believe that greed is actually the motivator here. Bear in mind that we have been going to the Belair for more than 30 years.

No matter, for us we have always agreed that when the maintenance fee reached the cost of a conventional rental (and we knew it would) we would end our timeshare at Belair. It appears that we have reached that point.

The sad part of this is that we really love the location and many of the people at the Belair, even with the possibility of the Pearl of China being a reality in the future, we were willing to continue but this is the proverbial last straw.
Some will say that we are giving the owners just what they want but I think that having the option of renting at other resorts will benefit us and save us a lot of money as it has for others who have chosen this option. Other timeshare owners and potential owners at Belair will make decisions that are best for them. They simply need to understand that the Belair owners have chosen to upgrade a dated resort without any negative impact to their bottom line profit.
Tom G.