There are several issues at play. Our boats are all bareboat. Considered recreational boats legally. So coastwise trade does not come into play. Also, the USVI is exempt from the Jones Act. We also have an exemption or modification to the six-pack law for uninspected vessels. You can legally transport up to 12 pax on an uninspected vessel here with a crew. There are some inspection hoops to jump through but there are a lot of boats doing it legally. For bareboat the number of passengers as per the manufactures rating on the boat.

As for the original question about the nationality of crew on a crewed vessel. Work visas are difficult to get. There are licensing hurdles as well. A US-flagged vessel even one built overseas will generally have an easier time with a US crew picking up and dropping off in US waters. In addition to those issues, it is just easier. Easier flights for your guests, easier provisioning, easier access to parts both on the island and shipped in. Plus a larger cruising ground. US, SVI and BVI's. You can pick up seven times a year in the BVI's as a US-based boat. I would not do it at all unless the guests were staying on land in the BVI prior to their trip. Why would you put your guests through the ferry taxi gauntlet? I would not do it to myself let alone a paying passenger on a luxury crewed trip. We have privately arranged cabs that pick up our guests and have them at the base ten minutes from exiting the baggage claim in Saint Thomas. We do that for bareboat. Crewed I would expect at least that level of service.

Jay

Last edited by CaptainJay; 10/26/2019 07:32 AM.