Not all of the fish sold in restaurants on both sides of the island, even what I consider to be the "safe to eat" ones (Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna), are necessarily as local as people think that they are. Yes, the local fishery supplies what they can, but that's not enough. I've talked to a local restaurant owner who gloried in the tuna which he got from a local fisherman, and another who said his tuna was shipped in from Miami, and had been caught off of Panama. Another told me that his Vivaneau (Red Snapper), had been caught between Martinique and Venezuela.

I used to be more of a fish snob than I am today, mostly because of the above - even "safe to eat" local fish sometimes comes from someplace else. What I won't eat though is farm-raised fish and shrimp. There's not a chance that I would ever knowingly eat Swai, Tilapia, most Salmon (including the farm-raised Faroe Island Salmon), and any shrimp other than wild-caught (preferably Gulf of Mexico) shrimp.

At home, I'm not sure that I would eat a Trout which I didn't catch myself. (Side note: - I love the name of Rainbow Trout in French - Truite Arc en Ciel)

But I do love Mahi, Wahoo, and Tuna, even if they're shipped in.