We too have sailed the BVI many times and I have never really got a grip on the threshold at which the northern swells effect the anchorages. You say a 12 sec 1.3m swell would send you scurrying or the north sound. I’m interested in the threshold at which you would not head for the north sound. For example, would north swells of 1m see you heading for cover. How about .75m. We are bringing our kids and grand kids to the BVI for their first trip and, wishing to avoid mutiny, I am keen that everyone sleeps well! We are on a 46 foot mono hull.

Thanks
Tim

The longer the period of the north swell the more energy in the swell. When cruising the BVI I usually have 3 weeks of time (what I get in my passport when I clear in) so I am not under any pressure to visit a number of sites in a week; and since I prefer calm to rolly when given a choice I will seek sheltered anchorages when there's just a chance of getting a north swell roll. So a period of over 10 seconds gives the waves a lot of energy, but in 20 feet of water they won't be affected by the bottom and a swell of 1m won't have me scurry to the North Sound; I'd probably stay in Cane Garden Bay if it were a Sunday and I could see the Elmtones play live.

I got caught in Cane Garden Bay by surprise once, as I'd not checked the weather. Shortly before sunrise the swell set in, I believe it was 1.5 to 2m with a very long period. I left the anchorage at sunrise and was worried about bottoming out while departing the CGB channel with surfers coming right by me surfing the break.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]