We've always heard that the BVIs are a sailor's paradise, so we decided to charter a boat during Easter. We knew it would be busy, but reading up on the scarcity of mooring balls and how some places (like Cooper Island) are essentially no-go areas now because of this, I'm regretting booking this trip.

We are new sailors. We've had two flotillas in the Mediterranean and were told that the BVIs are a good next step. In the Med we could spend the afternoon snorkeling and sailing and then be in by 4:00pm. I stupidly assumed that we could have a similar schedule in the BVIs.

The prospect of having to moor up for the day by midmorning for FCFS is tragic. We certainly are not willing to try Boaty Ball because even if we are lucky enough to get one booked (I don't mind being up early to try in the least bit) I hate the idea of a confrontation when inevitably your ball has been taken by someone else. I can't think of anything that would ruin my vacation faster.

Is there anything that we can do so we still enjoy this trip and have a place to stay for the night?

Are there any reliable ANCHORAGES where we have a good chance of finding a spot, even in the afternoon?

Reading these posts and how stressful it is in the BVIs has been eye-opening. I regret taking this on.