My wife and I made our first trip to SXM last year - we are in our mid 40s. We stayed in a condo on the same street you mentioned - had no issues. To be fair the condo had a gate that required a security code to gain entrance and there was someone on premise that was watching the place at night (once it gets dark). The balcony had gates controlled with the push of a button which gives an added sense of security. My wife and I didn't actually realize there were gates until the 3rd or 4th night of our stay - LOL!

I read a lot of posts on this board and many suggested not staying out too late; also be aware of your surroundings (this hold true EVERYWHERE you go - not just SXM). Being that it was our first time on the island and everything was new to us, we felt a little nervous, walking through the short alleys at night between the condo and the dinghy dock. The alleys are not well lit - so we used our cell flashlight while walking through them. We didn't stay out too late - usually getting back to condo between 10PM-11PM each night. After the 4th or 5th day we were much more at ease, but stuck to the same curfew.

We booked the same place for our upcoming trip in May - can't wait to go back to pizza & co .

Hope this helps.