Looking for accommodation recommendation in Orient Bay area where we can be on/as close to the beach as possible.

First time visitor to the island. Me, wife and two teenage sons. We chose Saint Martin/Sint Maarten as we like the idea of being able to have lots of options for beaches and a different feel all within one island.
Planning to have ar and go all over, but plan to stay on the French side as the kids have been to France with us and loved it (especially the food!) and love the look of Orient Bay. GC sounds nice too but I think with the kids OB may be better fit. Pinel Island across the way for snorkeling, the sandy beach, couple beach bars and bistros and bakery within the little “village.’ And we can speak some French which is a bonus. OB checks a lot of boxes for me. Last minute trip, so I can’t be too picky with accommodations and probably have to overpay a bit)…..but that’s what I wanted to ask about…

I would like to stay on the beachfront or directly across from the shore. We usually go more the AIRBNB route for villas and condos or small cottage, but smaller family run hotels and resorts are cool too. We aren’t into big resorts. I don’t really see a lot of option on Orient Bay where you can go out your back door and be on the beach. I see 2 hotels/resorts (Playa and Esmeralda) on the sand, but everything else seems to be a few blocks back up off the shore in village, or some lovely villas in the hills. Am I missing something? Is that partly due to Irma? Have places just not reopened? Or is that just how it is that there is limited choice right along the beach?

If we stay back up off the beach or if I can find a place with a view up in the hills (Jardin d’Orient) that I can afford…is it walkable to the beach? Not worried so much about traffic, but hilly I mean? Is it at all bike-able there? Or do most people just end up driving and parking to visit Baie Orient? I really don’t want to have to get in the car to come down to the shore if possible. Are there other shorefront options that maybe aren’t right in Orient Bay but are close enough that we could still walk or bike to village in evening (like up towards Cul-de-sac?)? Or for morning coffee? Are there any other areas that are maybe less than 10 minute drive to orient Bay that might have more options on water? Any rental agencies or options people can recommend?

Also speaking of water…..my trip is month out….but I have read about periodic water issues there. Both pressure (not a big deal) and availability (slightly bigger deal maybe though on vacation showers are not the first concern for me). Is that construction related and maybe on the way to being fixed? Or is that a constant issue there?

Similar question with internet I read several reports of very spotty internet. Maybe that was due to wifi wherever these folks were staying, but curious if internet is an issue generally speaking there. Assume cell service is limited? Doesn’t matter to me, but a bit more for the kids, especially in evenings

Any insight appreciated. Merci,

Brendan
Davidson NC USA