We stayed at Palm Court last week, and it was very nice. The water issues were annoying the first three days there, but have been fixed and we had full running water and toilet use on our last two days. Palm Court has a great location one block from Orient Beach, and provides free beach chairs and an umbrella at Bikini Beach for their guests. The satellite TV did carry a number of U.S. stations, but reception was sometimes spotty. If you don't have an electric power adapter, they can provide one if you ask.

But, the place that looked very impressive and right on the beach is La Playa. We walked over from Palm Court and took a quick tour, and we liked the location here even better. A path connects you right to Orient Beach, and beach chairs/umbrella are also provided for hotel guests. The bar/restaurant is open, and a tent has been erected to have breakfast right on the beach. La Playa is going to be as close to the beach as possible, so you might want to ask for a room with a beach view. There are no hotels or properties on Orient Beach where you can open up a sliding door and simply walk onto the beach that I am aware of.

Both hotels do not involve any type of uphill walking, and both are adjacent to Orient Village and the impressive group of restaurants located there (Sao, Le Piment, Le Telegraphe, etc.).

As for getting to Cul-de-Sac, you cannot walk there from the Orient Beach area (unless your a mountain goat!). You'll need your rental car or a taxi to take you the short distance to the port to catch the day ferry to Pinel.

As for speaking some french, really not necessary. Only once did I encounter a bar tender who could not speak English. Everyone at the bars and restaurants we encountered last week spoke English, but I do try to have a little fun with them and speak some broken French when we visit.

Keep in mind when traveling there with two teenage sons that the clothing optional beach (the bottom third of Orient Beach) is primarily a nude beach so you might want to prep them before you go if that's a concern. It is also a good idea to keep tabs of the coronavirus pandemic that is going on everywhere to see if more cases have been identified in St. Martin, and keep tabs on potential travel restrictions that may be imposed in the upcoming weeks. Hope this helps.