Good morning all, I was supposed to go down to SXM yesterday. I had tickets booked on American since last summer using miles. We were going from BDL(Hartford) - CLT - SXM and the return flight was the same coming back. About a day or 2 after the ban was announced by the SXM Government, I got a cancellation notice from American, except, they canceled CLT - SXM and left the BDL - CLT. I Got a good chuckle out of that, typical airline logic. Like many of you last week, going on their website there was the note about heavy calls coming in, if you aren't traveling within 72 hours, please wait. I was planning on dealing with it on Tuesday, the day before the flight. Tuesday morning I got a call from American, a live agent no less, asking me if I'd like to re-book on a later date or if I'd like to have the miles returned to my account. I asked for the miles to be returned to my account. She then told me that the miles would be restored within 2-3 days and the taxes and fees would be credited to my credit card in 7-15 days. The phone call was about 5 minutes tops.

Needless to say I was quite pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a frustrating phone call with them. My advice to others that have near future reservations that you haven't dealt with yet, give them some time.