Personally I just get back to what is my counterparty risk...meaning what chance do I have that whomever I am in business with will longer be in business or will change the rules before I can get satisfaction on the contract. Stubhub is an example of the latter with their changing the rules...

I am on both sides of it currently and dont really consider "fault". If you cant get to my beach house for whatever governmental restriction then I am unable to fulfill my "implied" contract and therefore you get the money back IMHO and if you come back in 2021 then all the better. Our management company has forwarded 50% of the rents on Jan 1 to all 1000 landlords. Some of my fellow landlords with this management company have decided that the house is ready so therefore it doesn't matter if you cant get there and will fight to keep their 50% regardless or issue a credit. That is their deal.

If my counterparty as an example is Jason or Gorda Guy then I would feel comfortable with a credit since I have met neither but from this board hold both with high integrity. If my counterparty is a private equity owned charter company that layed off all their base workers immediately I am less loyal...

As a consumer you always have the credit card dispute option assuming you charged the rent...

It really sucks for all the hard working BVI businesses that just rebuilt after Irma...although as Manpot says there are no winners my issues are still 1st world when compared to all the great businesses of the BVI which we cant support...