Background: I am a property owner in Sint Maarten, from Florida, age 66 and this trip was to complete some remodeling of my home there. So it was not for vacation or a short stay. The supplies have been sitting on site since early July. I needed to travel now before or if the island might shut down again.

This trip was on August 6, 2020. Regulations are subject to change at any time. The only place in my opinion to see those regulations is on the Ministry of Health site, not the tourist minister site as she is not making the rules. And the people at the SXM airport work for the Health Ministry so they follow his rules.
Day of travel: Departure was from Orlando to Miami then to SXM on American airlines. At check-in in Orlando and at get in Miami the airline was requiring to see/check that you had a negative Covid test AND the online entry form from the SXM Health Ministry. The airline was looking for the paperwork but I don’t think they knew what it had to say. Flight to SXM was maybe 1/3 full.

Upon arrival you enter the arrival hall. First stop is one of 4 health ministry booths. Lots of people to guide you. This is where the check your test paperwork and online form. If you pass the next stop is the immigration booths to check your passport and immigration form. After that it is baggage claim and exit.
Now if your health docs fail you are sent to another line to pay to be re-tested. The cost is $125 and you can pay in cash or credit card. After payment you are directed to another line to wait for a nurse to administer the Covid test. This is the one with the deep nasal swap. (Not painful but a little uncomfortable). You provide an email and phone number for them to contact with results. You are told to remain at home/room in isolation until they notify you of pass or fail. Test result can be in 24-72 hours. They sent you an email right away asking you to take your temperature every morning and report it back to them via web site for the next 14 days. After the testing you are sent around to the immigration passport line.

After attempting to travel to SXM since June I have been following the rule changes carefully. I had done two separate test runs of tests and lots of research to see which test were actually done and how long. On August 3rd I had an rt-PRC test and a SARS-Covid-2 NAA test done (two separate places). The PRC being the one SXM wants. As expected the PRC test was not back within the 72 hours but the NAA was. I uploaded the NAA test to the island web site and got an email back in about an hour with clearance. Think it is an automated system with no real review of documents. The test did not pass at the SXM airport and I had to be re-tested. It was what I had expected and the gamble I was willing to take to get back on the island.

I discussed the test I had with the supervisor at the health desks to confirm what they were looking for. The test has to say it is an rt-PRC test, be within 72 hours AND not have the FDA notice on it. She was very friendly and kept saying it is OK you only have to be retest. I think she was just trying to be sure I understood I was not going to be sent back.

All in all travel to Sint Maarten is a risk right now if you don’t have EXACTLY the docs they are looking for. Both to your health and wallet. Everything is life is a risk. YOU have to decide what amount of risk you are willing to take.

Hope you find this report helpful. Regards and safe travels.

GaryB