I have to agree. It is a tourist area and thats about all that keeps it going except for the local farm community but they don't spend any time in the town of Zipolite except to maybe supply the local merchants.
One of the locals who plans to run for mayor and his wife referred to us as the next group of tourist victims when they described how we were viewed.
I was also informed since we left that unless I was prepared to stay and pursue this through some kind legal proceeding that it would not be pursued by the police. They turn their heads and forget it ever happened. The only purpose that the police report served was so that we had some documents to help with obtaining new passport travel documents and submitting our insurance claim when we got home. Did I mention that there no less than 4 robberies within the month I was there? I had no knowledge of that until it happened to us. The last one was 3 days after we had been robbed and it was while the victims were in their room and they were held at gun point for an hour.
Mexico is off my list - unless I get a clear sign that they have done something about it but that will not likely happen.