tmsxmsails said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm a little surprised that there are so many warnings about getting the mooring lines wrapped in the prop.

Obviously, I haven't done this before and, in fact, I have virtually no experience backing a large monohull. I understand that the boat doesn't steer very well in reverse but it seems like, if I'm backing slowly towards the ball, I'd have very little chance of overrunning it and getting things in the prop. Even if I really overcook it and back into the ball too fast, I just take it out of gear and wait until I drift back off of it right?

The big risk that I was expecting was if I had the the bow line led back along say, the starboard side and I back up to the ball and tie onto it, but the boat turns such the ball is on the port side. Is there a chance I could get hung up and not be able to "unwind"? It seems like it would blow around but maybe it could get stuck?

I really want to try this but I want to get as many tips as possible before I do.

Thanks,

Tom

A little clarification.
I never said “Back into a mooring with a mono”. That would be dumb.
What sail2 and I where referring to is the practice of slowly pulling abeam of the mooring and grabbing it.
DO NOT TRY TO BACK INTO IT