joyonthebeach said:
[...] We will be staying at Turtle Bay,...

That's in Kahuku, the northern tip of Oahu. There is a good chance that it will be windy. The resort was conceived to be a non-Waikiki experience, and it is less commercial than Waikiki (which has 24-hour shopping for the Japanese tourists), and there is no Diamond Head as background for photos, but you will like what you see, anyway.

Are the shrimp trucks really all that they're made out to be?

I've never eaten from a "shrimp truck", but given that the prawn farms are right there in Kahuhu, the shrimp are guaranteed to be fresh. BTW, there used to be a nude beach adjacent to one of the prawn farms with a small community of nudists living in shacks adjacent to it in the 1980s. It was part club, part "colony", but the State demanded its removal for "sanitation" reasons. Meanwhile, right next door, the effluent from the prawn farms smelled like - and actually was - raw sewage, and beyond that, to the east, were settling tanks for the municipal sewage treatment plants. Don't bother looking for the nude beach, though - the shoreline is mostly lava rock with pounding surf.

I'm hoping to feast on local seafood.

Ummm .... , most seafood is imported, as the press of human population has exhausted the local fisheries for hundreds of miles around. If you want to savor truly Hawaiian "cuisine" (as opposed to what Islanders really eat) stop in at Ono Hawaiian Foods in Kapahulu, just inland from Waikiki. It's a very small hole in the wall across the street from Taco Bell on Kapahulu Avenue. To spot it, just look across the street from Taco Bell and you will see a line of people waiting to get into "Ono's". The food is AUTHENTIC, and for that reason, you might not like it, but it's worth trying. I, as a kid, didn't like poi, and I would only eat it smothered in sugar. Now that I live in L.A., I get cravings for it. I like it in 2-finger consistency, a day old when it has started to sour from fermentation. It's the best thing there is to eat with grilled fish or kalua pig (pork slow-ovened by hot rocks in a buried pit). Here is Ono's website: Ono Hawaiian Foods

~Reggie~