Wow!
I guess I am out of touch and did not research this trip like I have others (never been to the BVI's with an exception of a day trip to Jost from St John).
We are suppose to travel between Oct 23rd-30th, 2021. Flights are already booked and was just about to pay 50% on the villa.
Don't plan to use the boat after dark, not that experienced boating in the Caribbean.
We have been to many Caribbean Islands always in late Oct (anniversary the 26th) so we are quite aware of "off-season" in the Caribbean but it sounds like "off season" means something different on Tortola with many places closed (partly due to COVID as well I'm sure).
I also did not understand or possibly get the gravity of a 4-day quarantine on a 7-day trip. It doesn't seem worth it to travel on a luxurious vacation to spend 4-days in the house (albeit, it is a beautiful house). I wonder how strict the house arrest is?? Can we not walk across the street to Smuggler's Cove for the day or will we be arrested and thrown in quarantine jail?
We want to come a have a wonderful vacation in one of the most beautiful places in the world and support the local economy to the fullest, but this to me, seems excessive. Hopefully this is all null and void by the time October comes around but I am not sure we or the other two couples will want to come to paradise for a week and spend two-thirds of it in quarantine.
I guess, I am asking is it worth it to spend a bunch of time and money to come during COVID?
Obviously, the BVI's are trying to protect their people, but are you really protecting them if you take away their livelihood? I'm not sure, it kind of seems like it and I'm not trying to be political what-so-ever! The officials on the island are a lot smarter than me I'm sure and definitely have the best interest in their own people I hope.
We took the family to St Martin in Oct 2020 and had a wonderful family vacation! Not all places were open, we had to wear masks always, we could not spend a day on St Barth's, or Anguilla, but we did get to drive around everyday, go to all our favorite beaches, see the entire island and eat anywhere we wanted to that was open. We had to take our temps every morning and record them which was slightly irritating but necessary in our view.
Lastly, I'll probably cancel the boat as well if we can't zoom around to different islands for 4 days, if things are still the same as today we will probably not come at all if we have to spend 4-days in the house. I am typically not a "Debbie Downer" but your comments got me a little frazzled and were eye-opening to the situation, completely unlike our recent St Martin trip. Our SXM trip was stressful and a pain-in-the-butt, but uber rewarding and unforgettable! The people really appreciated our patronage and we loved the people and the service!
Cheers, I hope this finds you all well, Matt

Last edited by unipanther; 02/16/2021 06:48 PM.