Do your homework.
Condos can be located on titled (fee simple) or Long lease. On the Island, the local perception is that they are generally interchangeable. Not sue I am in total agreement but that seems to be the case.
When comparing Condo fees be sure to understand what is included. Some don't include insurance and handled that with a separate levy. Some include it. I have even run into a Condo building that does not have insurance. Not sure how Buyers get a mortgage if they are honest and up front with their Bank about not having insurance, but they seem to figure it out.
We have been carefully trying to learn the market and understand pricing for the past 3 years. Having sold Real Estate for 30 years and owned a Brokerage for 20 years I thought I new something about Real Estate. Well, when it come to St Maarten I am still learning. Just about every local you meet sells Real Estate. There is no regulation or MLS system contrary to what some may tell you. Not saying don't do, just do your home work. We still hope to purchase on the Island and feel more comfortable in doing so now, but it took us 3 years to get there.

Good luck!