Indeed this doesn’t make a lot of sense from a disease control standpoint or the logistics of handling.

On the one hand they are allowing more freedom of movement sooner for vaccinated individuals. That’s good.. it was imperative to do it if they were going to have any sort of tourist season and not have the charter and land based businesses suffer even more harm.

Yet they require testing before entry and testing at entry for vaccinated tourists. Okay but they are allowing vaccinated passengers off cruise ships with no prior testing to wander around immediately. Cruise ship passengers that have been mingling in closed spaces with passengers and crew from everywhere. They will be visiting several islands before getting to the bvi. Taken together this makes no sense.

The other problem is testing. With very few people coming in, testing times are unpredictable and mostly slower than promised. I’m sure people relying on this latest plan, will be making reservations for boats and villas for the summer. However the government seems to make decisions on the fly without considering details. There is obviously a lack of testing capacity or trained people to perform these tests. From the reports of poor technique in obtaining specimens above, I suspect the lab is not what you would see in most medical facilities testing on a large scale. I worry If you triple the incoming tests, if they stick with pcr testing they will get far behind in having results and sloppy in running tests. The health minister talked about moving to rapid tests. IMO they will have to for this to succeed.

This would be a disaster otherwise. It will possibly impact getting the test run for return to the us.Also changing the quarantine from 4 to 7 when people have booked vacations ahead of time seems arbitrary with short lead time if there are areas where they cannot be vaccinated or any reason they cannot.. In addition many people I am sure will be unaware of the change.

What makes sense to me is to allow vaccinated visitors with a negative test access without further testing until that necessary to leave if still in place. Children traveling with vaccinated travelers tested before travel and on arrival ..no further testing.

The bvi is going to have some Covid cases . With thousands of cruise ship passengers every week off a congregate facility is a much bigger problem. They should then save the testing for unvaccinated adults and testing and tracing of the cases that will be bound to happen in the population that is less than 50% vaccinated. Look for some snafus.

Last edited by Will_L; 05/09/2021 03:01 PM.