Just returned from a charter (7/25-8/1) and so glad we went. Here are a few takeaways:

• COVID, Portal, Entry, etc.: Dealing with the portals and testing was a pain in the a$$. I had to complete everything for my crew of 6 teenage girls, plus me and my wife, so that took a lot of time. We all came in with Vax Cards, negative rapid tests, and antibody tests. Entry was smooth. Exited back to St Thomas on Ferry with 6 antibody tests in USVI Portal. 2 of them were rejected, so we used the emed Binax – it was a little cumbersome, but we never had to leave the boat. If needed, we were going to use Dr. Garvin Dougan (MD Link) to meet us at the boat for rapid test as we did not have enough of the Binax tests ($125 for test plus $25 for traveling to meet us)

• Dolphin Water Taxi was so easy and helped make up for the rest of the hassles. Met at baggage claim in St. T. with a rum shot and beers, then quickly hopped in cab to Red Hook, walked straight to boat and departed. 20 minute stop in West End while Captain handled customs and we enjoyed another beer on the boat. Then they dropped us off right near our boat in Nanny Cay.

• Horizon Yacht Charters and FP Elba 45 ‘Gelos’ were awesome. This was our first charter with them and will definitely return. Did a Zoom boat briefing with Jalon the day before we arrived which was thorough, and they provided a detailed Instruction manual for the boat a couple of weeks in advance, so we were ready with questions. Friendly and helpful folks at the base and we were off before 9 am the next morning. Gelos was our favorite boat we have chartered – great layout and features, sailed well, very new and clean, and no issues.

• Staying at marina at Oil Nut and Scrub negated the Covid challenges as we were guests of the resort and hence we could eat at the restaurants and enjoy the resort at night.

• White Bay was happening. All balls and a good majority of the anchoring spots were taken by 9:45 Friday morning. SDB felt normal as food and drinks are always “take away” there any how. Tons of folks having a great time.

• Other places were quiet (Norman, Cooper, Leverick, Anegada), but it was a pleasant change. Having only 1 boat in range on multiple sails was a unique sight. Saba Rock looked completely ready to open and Bitter End is making progress.

Was great to see several old friends (locals and sailors) and make many new ones. We look forward to returning in October and December. Fingers crossed and prayers for continued improvement on the covid situation and an uneventful hurricane season.