I want to be sure my comments were not taken as a criticism of the fully electric Voyage 480. Actually, the technology was rather amazing, running air conditioning, microwave, and even hair dryers. The blue lights at night are a real standout. The boat operated nicely under propulsion in anchorages, although a bit of a learning curve maneuvering close-in due to the pause between forward and reverse. Our problem was singular, this boat needs to be 'sailed' and lacks electric propulsion in open water. The apparent efficient power setting for maintaining battery charge is 800 rpm, which we found to be drifting backwards in winds and seas. We did not intend to do much, if any, sailing because we did not have a crew with sufficient skills nor a desire to sail, and that is my fault for not doing my own due diligence when booking this boat, it was never misrepresented by Voyage. Our itinerary was to simply move the folks (and kids) from anchorage to anchorage with a little scuba diving in between. If not in a hurry and the purpose of your trip is to do a lot of sailing, I suspect you would enjoy the boat.

To answer someone's question, the batteries are charged by a combination of solar panels, diesel generator, and spinning props when under sail.

Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com