Originally Posted by sunshine44
Definitely not the call you want to get when you have a boat in charter. I think we saw this grounding if it was on October 10 around 4pm. We were on a mooring at Leverick and heard the destress call on the vhf. There was a heavy squall passing you could not see a thing when it happened. The Moorings cat we saw should have stayed outside of the channel until it passed. After the squall passed we saw the cat on the reef. A tender from Moskito island and a larger dinghy from the mooring field got them off the reef. They then took a ball behind us.

Thanks so much for that info! I don't know the date of the grounding, but Oct 10th is at least plausible. Was it an M4000?
In the end the circumstances of the grounding don't really affect my situation, but on the broad scale of mistakes that could have lead to this minor disaster, it is somehow a bit easier to accept if the cause was not gross negligence and/or blatant violations of the terms of the charter contract. Seems like Colquhoun and the attendant buoyage is well mapped on the chart plotter and should be easily avoidable even with no visibility, but my imagination has been busy coming up with a multitude of more egregious scenarios.

Last edited by MrEZgoin; 10/28/2021 09:41 PM.

M4000 "Lio Kai"