We have actually stayed in P’berg pre Irma but that was after 35+ years of. Annual visits. Personally speaking I would NOT recommend this for a first visit. We’re just back from two weeks there having stayed in Simpson Bay but on the Maho end.

I am NOT a huge fan of the French side due to all the frequent utility issues, not that the Dutch side doesn’t have their own issues with regularity, and of late due to the French side road closures and civil unrest situations seem to be getting way too frequent for my taste.. Can’t say I blame the residents for their actions but I don’t need them to detract from my vacation. The food is very good but IMHO it doesn’t merit the long drive from where we stay in Simpson Bay but if we choose a French beach or restaurant we can easily drive there on occasion but primarily enjoy all the many options and venues on the Dutch side.

My best recommendations for a first time visitor would be to rent a car and stay in either the Simpson Bay or the Maho or Cupecoy areas.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."