Can't help re travel agents as we are in UK, but I would just say go now! Be aware that effectively you are going to a single hotel on an island that has nothing other than the hotel on it. There is nowhere really to visit. There a few islands where the 'locals' live, but there is nothing to see of interest. Those islands are not set up for tourists. So choose your island/hotel very carefully. No need for shoes unless on a very smart island, do NOT take any religious artefacts, even a crucifix that you might wear all the time. They are taken away and held at customs for your departure. Same with alcohol, don't even think of taking any into the country. Alcohol is served generally in the hotels by non Maldivians. Snorkelling is fantastic, plenty and colourful. However, I was able to snorkel slowly around my island in just over an hour. Very relaxing if you are happy doing nothing! A lot of people combine with a tour of Sri Lanka. If you do that the two places are great contrasts and fascinating. Go to Sri Lanka first and then relax on the Maldives. Sorry not to give more specific response to your question.