Originally Posted by CanuckTravlr
Yes, Europeans tend to smoke much more than North Americans, although the numbers continue to decrease after years of restrictions, particularly on smoking indoors in public places. France in particular is in the top twenty countries in the world, although we notice it less now in major cities, like Paris. In France, over 35% of the population are still smokers, whereas in the USA it's only 25% and in Canada it's now less than 18%.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/smoking-rates-by-country

I believe it. We were in France for 2.5 weeks (for the first time in many many years) last Fall and yes the smoking was one of those "oh I remember this" instances. Our attitude was we are in a foreign country, it's their country, and we will adapt. If it got to be too much, we moved. The smoking on St. Martin while noticeable was nothing like that amount, especially in the outdoor eating/drinking areas and I am pretty sensitive to it now. But it was noticeable on occasion.

I second Friar's Bay for calm waters. It was lagoon like calm when we were there and seems to be a very protected little cove. The road getting there is not far above a cow path but it is worth braving the car swallowing pot holes. Really lovely spot. Next trip we plan to spend more time there.

[Linked Image]