Originally Posted by BEERMAN
I had a very structured career, winging it and "flying by the seat of my pants" is actually a great feeling! Has got to be more people like us out there. You should try it just once!!!

We always done a little of both... I am firm believer - that you have to have a plan to change one, but changing them on the fly is usually a good thing.

What drives me nuts are the Trip Advisor must see lists, the Rick Steves you got to visit here, or living and dying by a guide book on a travel adventure.
Most of the time if you use one of travel aides listed, you will have a better chance of bumping into a high school classmate that you have not seen in years than actually seeing a local in these must see locations.

My wife likes to do research on things to see and do and list out a hit list of possibilities. However, guide books are not allowed to travel with us. They take up space and add weight.

The one real crazy trip was to Vienna. We were watching the Amazing Race and the pit stop was in Vienna. The next day we got airline tickets and less than 30 days later we were there. We booked a hotel room and no plans except to go to a Christmas market.
We had a Blast! Ironically Carol, if you remember the blog was called - Virtually Visiting Vienna groovin

One of the most important things to do when one travels is to embrace Emerson's quote at the bottom of the thread.

Keep us updated Beerman - Looking forward to the stories.

Last edited by TomB; 07/14/2022 11:19 PM.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés