Originally Posted by The_Lurker
Carol, what trip insurance is that? That will save some of us the worries and the money.

I don't know of any insurance policy that covers liability insurance on a rental but would welcome hearing about one; that's why I rent from Hertz even though they aren't as friendly as other companies. I have an annual travel policy with Allianz (AllTrips Prime Plan) that does cover CDW. From the policy:

IMPORTANT: This coverage does not provide bodily injury and property damage liability insurance and does not comply with any financial responsibility law or any other law mandating motor vehicle coverage.

If your rental car is stolen or damaged during the scheduled rental period and while on your trip, we will pay you the lesser of the following, up to the maximum benefit listed for Rental Car Damage and Theft Coverage on your Declarations:

i. The reasonable and customary costs to repair the rental car, including reasonable charges for loss of use imposed by the owner of the rental car while the rental car is being repaired; or 101-P-OR-1000.04-2017 16

ii. The actual cash value of the rental car, less its reasonable salvage value.

The following conditions apply:

a. If the rental car is damaged while being operated, the driver at the time the damage occurs must be listed on the rental car agreement;

b. You must file a report with the rental car company, either within 24 hours of the loss or damage or when you return the rental car (whichever comes first); and

c. If the rental car is stolen, you must promptly notify the police.

You are not covered for any loss that results directly or indirectly from any of the following specific exclusions:

1. Any obligation you assume under any agreement, (e.g. you pay for the car rental agency’s supplemental insurance), except a collision or comprehensive deductible for your primary insurance;

2. Violating the rental car agreement;

3. Leases or rentals for 46 consecutive days or longer; [JAZZGAL comment: this is an added bonus as my credit card covers only 30 days of CDW]

4. Diminution in value of a rental car;

5. Mechanical breakdown or ordinary wear and tear; or

6. Rental cars rented or driven in Jamaica.

IMPORTANT: Please refer to your Declarations to confirm your policy includes this coverage, and if so, the applicable limit.

[Linked Image]