I was directed to this forum from Tripadvisor.

I'm taking a cruise with my family in November and one of the stops is Tortola. We'll only have from 6am-3pm there.

So far the excursions offered by the cruise line don't seem that great. I'm more interested in local history and culture than snorkeling and beaches but my impression is that a number of the museums never opened again after the hurricane. I was thinking about just getting a taxi into the centre of the main town and wandering on my own (well, with my sister and my nephew). I've also seen that there are some hiking trails in Sage Mountain park but I am not clear on whether it is a short enough route to go there and back and still have time to wander around the tourist traps and perhaps get some lunch.

So far I have the Old Government House, the Botanical Gardens, Callwood Distillery, and Sage Mountain Park on my list. There are mentions of a maritime museum at the college but I haven't found any recent information about it. I get the impression there isn't much archaeology to be seen, which is not unexpected given that the island wasn't occupied until quite recently.

Has someone been there recently and can verify what is actually open? Or suggest some interesting things that aren't too much trouble to get to?