What a trip!
I will start with our trip home, a bit in reverse order but there is a lot of talk about coming back through Miami. We were in First for this trip which we normally or almost always do with the trip being as long as it is for us. Our flights were SXM to MIA, MIA to DFW where we spent the night at the Grand Hyatt DFW, then DFW to PDX.
Clear is not at most airports and on the way down when we stayed the night in Miami we did not use Clear to get back through the airport, the gate we went to had TSA Pre but not Clear and the line was small so it was an easy decision. On the way back, however I did get the info from bdeely I think that MIA did have Clear, which I later looked up to find out which gates. Reason why that was key was that our flight from SXM was running 30 plus minutes late and we only had 90 minutes to begin with.

“So you are saying there’s a chance”

So I did what research I could to find the fastest way to get through everything starting with should we take the Skytrain to Immigration, which from D17 it was suggested we do that and noting that MJ has had a knee issue it was a good decision. With Global Entry we flew through that process and then were back walking and walking. We were carryon only so we passed where people were claiming luggage and exited and then went past where people were rechecking luggage and rather than wait in the line that has no precheck right there to clear security with a line which resembled the line for a popular ride at Disney World, we left like we were leaving the airport. My guess is if you were to recheck luggage there you could then do the same as we did. When you exit which is an uncomfortable feeling you end up walking a bit and going down a ramp which then to our right was an escalator to take us back up to departures where we then bypassed the entrance to D gates and went to the E Gate entrance just a short distance and used Clear which by the way at that time the Clear agent was not betting on us making the flight. A family let us go in front of them, amen since they were struggling to handle their luggage. Our gate was only E8 so it was a walking distance, not exactly a short walk (or jog in my case) but at least we did not require a train. During all this I did my best to check the app on my phone hoping that when we arrived that they were still boarding but I was getting no updates, could have been user error noting we were scrambling. I ran ahead with our bags to the gate, not quite OJ as I can not hurdle or make cuts like him but did my best (note I did rent from Hertz this trip). I got to the gate going towards the door and was stopped abruptly by AA staff, and then explained that they had not started boarding yet! So, we had time which was good because we needed to get some water and cool down from the haul. I wish I would have noticed the time on both ends but I am pretty sure we made it gate to gate in about 35 minutes, certainly under 40 and might have been 30. So it can be done!

My advice to anybody in a hurry in Miami entering the US is to A, have Global Entry with Pre Check. Clear will help but I really suggest to anybody traveling much at all to get Global Entry. Second, know that the Sky Train is likely your best option unless you are a fast walker, really fast. Third and most importantly don’t wait in the line after the luggage recheck right there, leave like we did and then re enter the normal departure areas and use the Pre Check lines there even if you are not in a hurry. Guessing that saved us 30 minutes and was much more pleasant. Last and not least, don’t give up hope on making your connecting flight.
We made it to DFW, being a Hyatt Globalist we then were upgraded to an Executive Suite with a runway view and slept like tired dogs. Saturday morning got breakfast, then took a nice easy trip to our gate for an 11am departure and I am writing this mid air so please excuse any grammar errors which I would normally make anyway but using this excuse. Presently comfortable with a vodka club soda looking forward to being home, for about 16 hours before I fly out again.

Had a great trip and looking forward to being back in March!
T

I prefer the Isle seat