Originally Posted by KGB
There is another option. I just found out about this one so no personal experience but on another travel forum people have been using it and are very happy. It’s called Airalo. It’s an app that you can download on your smart phone. Then you purchase a country or region specific data package. They do have SXM. You will then have a data service from the local cell provider but you will not be able to make a voice calls unless using another apps like FaceTime or WhatsApp. So it’s basically like having the island wide wifi all the time and not only at the free wifi spots like bars and restaurants.
I will be giving this app a try in a few months. Apparently, there are a few other similar apps available.

Airalo (and Ubigi) are eSIM solutions. You need a phone that is capable of adding an eSIM. You download the app, add an eSIM to your phone, then buy a data plan. Airalo mentions Saint Martin (French side) and Sint Maarten (Dutch side) but these are separate data plans. Ubigi only works on the French side. My understating is the eSIM may not necessarily work island-wide because there are different carriers on either side (I’d love to be told I’m wrong because I’m looking at Ubigi - but I will be on the French side 90% of the time anyway).

The other option is an actual SIM card (like Chippie) to replace the one in your phone. Most of these, I believe, work island-wide since you are with a specific carrier, some of which make their signals available on both sides. This solution however would give you a local phone number.

Last edited by CdnCouple; 12/30/2022 05:37 PM.