Originally Posted by lucca44
after talking to some shop owners --and restaurant employees in Maho ---they tell me of the rent amounts and they are astronomical -10 to 15 k a month ---tough check to write on rented property---with a highly seasonal economy-----rough going

If your numbers are correct, and having heard the same ones several times I’m inclined to believe they probably are, there’s NO WAY the property in question could generate that amount of cash return. I’ve forgotten how many suites there are but if you do the multiples at an average of $300.00 per day, it doesn’t work. And then there’s the overhead - insurances, utilities, general improvements, staff salaries and most entrepreneurs want to have this thing called profit when all is said and done. The restaurant was apparently very hit or miss although we always were well satisfied but it just wasn’t a destination that most people would flock to for dining. At best, anytime we had dinner there we would be one of three or max four tables max.

I’m thinking the property owner is out of her gourd on the rental costs but that’s no justification for the lease holders to walk away as they did. I always liked Ed and Nicole and thoroughly enjoyed ElZafiro so I’m sad to see it end this way but they’re NOT the first tenants to lose their cookies there, and they put so much into the property. At least we were able to get our monies back when they walked away.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."