Originally Posted by Husker
Peter - I've never had kids under 12 on my boat, but I hope to in the next couple years. Just curious about your PDF rule: Does that apply equally regardless if the boat is underway or docked/anchored? I've seen boats with young kids that have safety netting run on the life lines.....I'm thinking netting is no substitute for a PDF, underway or not.

For me, if we are away from the dock - so basically the whole trip except for the very beginning and end - the rule is in force. I figure it avoids the whole "but we're only doing 1 knot" argument, and is simple, a very black and white rule with no room for interpretation (hopefully).

And like Wes said - nets are not the same as the pfds.

My other rule is no jumping into the water from the coachroof for the kids - just don't want them slipping and getting impaled on a stanchion. Yeah, I know - I can be a killjoy! lmao

The other thing is teach them how to sail and drive the boat. The kids will love sitting behind the wheel, pushing the autopilot buttons, driving the boat with the engines. My grandkids got a kick out of me explaining to them how to use the engines to maneuver - and it was months before any potential trip. The more they're involved, the better they enjoy the trip.

Keep Smiling!!!

Last edited by Time Will Tell; 01/05/2023 12:36 PM.

Peter
s/y Time Will Tell (2019 Lagoon 42)
peter@syTimeWillTell.com