You really need mot venture to St. Kitts to discover the devastation these creatures can create as it’s already happening on SXM. There was a time when the monkeys were few and far between but they appear to be over-sexed and quite prolific and their numbers have escalated drastically.

As many trips as we’ve made over the years to our beloved island I have only once seen a monkey on the island and it was one monkey one time,, at a property in the Cupecoy area (that no longer exists, btw…..) and it almost became one of the features of the property along with the properties’ beautiful pool views and the number of kitties that used to populate the property on a regular basis.

That said, talk to the people who live on the island and have their gardens devastated each season; to the best of my knowledge, the monkeys are not too much of a problem in the most developed areas of the island so I question the effects they might have on tourism in general, but if I were growing fruits and foodstuffs only to see them destroyed season after season, I wouldn’t be happy about it. And as an island resident who takes pride in the beautification of their properties, I would NOT be at all happy with the mess they can and do make. I think I’d want them gone, too, and I doubt they’d volunteer to come in for voluntary sterilization! 🙂🙂

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."