While not sure I believe pepper spay is illegal on the island, that's not say we don't bring it

I would consider myself a good judge of cuisine for 3 star Michelin to the down and dirty and I consider all aspects of the dining experience.

From the foodie side, yeah there are lots of very good restaurants that have similar French menus, but a few are cooking outside the box.
Le Pressior in Gran Case is definitely worth the few extra dollars and would recommend the multi course (7) tasting

Les Galets which has limited seating (non beach side of Orient) is a Michelin trained chef with a set menu and a for real cheese trolley which is the highlight of the meal.
Would have to check set weekly menu to see if fish is served

Le Cottage in Grand Case offers an upscale menu with a well educated sommelier while a bit on the firm side, takes a few years to warm him up

While L'Atelier in Orient Village has been on my to visit list (closed for summer vacation during our stay) from reliable reviews I can mention they offer high quality imported meats out of the normal

There are plenty of local down and dirty local places especially a lolo with grilled food