Originally Posted by Ragtime
Brings back early bareboating memories: turn on the light to go to the head and always greeted with hundreds of roaches - cute little guys - and always found them hiding during the day! And how about block ice in the ice box - after the third day, almost had to put on your Speedo to dive into the dirty water to rescue your evening meal! Those were the days my friends! Thankful for fumigation and refrigeration!

I'll never get those visions out of my mind of coming home (I was brought up on a sailboat in the Caribbean) turning on the light and seeing the roaches scatter. Or the fun roach bomb days where you had to seal off the entire boat, detonate the bomb and then wash every dish, glass, silverware, surface of the boat afterwards only to have the scurrying continue a couple months later! We are lucky to still be alive!

When my kids complain that they can't find something in the boat fridge or that they can't take a "proper" shower, I remind them that I grew up without a shower at all and an icebox for refrigeration! Spoiled brats! I too am thankful for fumigation, refrigeration, air conditioning, toilets that flush without blistering your hands and all the other pampered things we have now days!

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]