Just wanted to jump in here. I'm just back last night from a 10 day trip, and hope to get more details out soon via a trip report. My family of 5 was on the EIS-MIA flight yesterday afternoon. In spite of the well reported issues they encountered on 6/4 and 6/5 (we arrived on 6/4), yesterday's flight experience could not have been better. The arriving flight landed on time, and they turned the plane (which was cool when we boarded - unlike the Silver planes) and took off for Miami inside of an hour.

Many here are opposed to EIS flights, when compared to ferry and STT alternatives. I understand why, and respect the opinions and wisdom of long-time contributors to this site. That said, I am sometimes surprised by the degree of negativity around EIS flights. I'm still a rookie (only 10 BVI charters under my belt), but from where I am in Orlando, EIS flights are an easier/better option. Traditionally, this has been SJU connections on JetBlue via Silver codeshare (MCO-SJU-EIS). This injects some risk into the travel plans due to common delays with Silver. Our experience has been mostly good. It's still better than MCO-MIA-STT and the ferry (I cannot get to STT direct, unless I go Spirit, which I won't).

Regardless, if American Airlines is able to make a go of these direct flights from Miami, I can't see how that's not better for just about everyone. The crew & staffing issues argument doesn't make sense to me. That's true of nearly any/all Caribbean destinations. The runway/weather issues have merit, but my understanding is that the percentage of the time that planes are required to land from the east is very low. Most of the time there is a consistent east wind that makes takeoff (like yesterday) very doable.

It seems to me that more options for access to the BVI is better than less.....even if that includes flights that others would prefer not to take (STT or EIS). Additionally, if American Airlines is successful on this route, maybe it would encourage Delta to take a look at it with their A220 equipment.

Just my two cents, but I'm in the camp of those hoping that American succeeds.