The process should be that you receive a new passport, with a new number, and then you log into the Global Entry portal to update your passport number. But it’s not always that simple. I renewed my passport earlier this year and then logged into Global Entry to update the passport number. The portal would not accept the new number and told me that I had to physically go to an enrollment center.

US passport numbers are now alpha numeric instead of strictly numeric. When I finally got to see an agent at the enrollment center, it took him about a minute to update my information. He shrugged and said, “Something about those new numbers….” I returned from Europe last week and Global Entry worked perfectly.

One important caveat: if you need to go to an enrollment center for an update, you need to bring your actual passport and Global Entry card. The agent who I saw didn’t immediately realize that my Global Entry card was tucked into my passport. He initially said he couldn’t help me without the card and passport.