Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
crmoores--No, sorry, I guess you are walking back your previous comments, after you sold your property in Mexico. People should check out your previous comments in the Mexico forum. I personally have NO desire to be anywhere in Mexico.

Not walking back anything Carol. We did indeed sell our home outside PDC last year. The primary reason was the continued growth, and its impact on the infrastructure and especially on the traffic around us. Living there, we were also concerned about the continuing corruption, both from the cartels and the police. We’ve never witnessed anything, but we know it is going on because we know many business owners here.

I have reported on the cartel violence taking place in Tulum, and other areas to inform those researching Mexico. But the Riviera Maya continues to attract thousands of visitors each week, as well as many moving there from the US and Canada. Being a peninsula, the main drug cartel activity is elsewhere; here it’s the same as in major US cities and other Carib areas - getting a piece of the action. The odds of being caught-up in one of these events is very slim, and everyone has to weigh the risks involved with visiting other countries.

I know you’ve stated you personally have no desire to be anywhere in Mexico. We are the opposite and will return often. Not just for the beauty, but the amazing culture, and especially the wonderful people we’ve become close to…

SXMScubaman it really depends on where you are living, and other factors - just at on SXM or The cartels are not new at all; Tulum would be an area we would not venture to simply because we know it’s the newest hotspot, and the cartels follow the $$$.

But sorry for the lengthy post about Mexico in this SXM forum… Here I was responding to Ed, agreeing with him on the resort that we’d also stayed at, and I went further suggesting a nicer area to stay if he or anyone else following this thread are considering the RM.

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you.”
-Anthony Bourdain