Originally Posted by MIDiver
EZ - please connect with me when you get back. I would love to hear all about your experiences and tips. We just added a 5 night land stay at Maupiti Residence to our trip - the island looks like the Bora Bora of old which really appeals to me. How was the pass entry? I heard it can be an “adventure”. So much so that the ferry no longer regularly runs.

We did not make it to Maupiti on our only other visit here 10 years ago so when we had a window we seized on it.

Passe Onoiau definitely had my attention yesterday. WG had the swell at 1.3m 9s and the process of entering went smoothly, but due to the angle of this very narrow pass when you are approaching from the East it just looks like solid breakers. We were advised not to attempt the pass at over 1.6m, but I'm skeptical that this can be reduced to a single number and I therefore hope that 1.6m is conservative. Plenty hairy at 1.3m the first time around.

Maupiti looks to be a bit like this cruising grounds Anegada, only with more challenge which further reduces the visitorship. The island's landform is somewhat like Bora Bora but the infrastructure is nothing like it.

M4000 "Lio Kai"