I would like to setup a wireless router on the boat so we can share internet data with several devices while we are sailing. I am pretty computer/network literate but know little about cell phones, data plans and such. I have been studying the frequencies used by Digicel and Lime and think I have a handle on the routers that will work but from there things get fuzzy for me. I'd prefer not to tether a cell phone and not to have to go to a store (mrsimcard if possible) or rent equipment. I think over the long run this will work best for me and save some money.

So my first question is, assuming we already have a phone on board to make calls can I just buy a data sim for the wireless router? I know I'll need to put it in a phone to activate it first. From looking at mrsimcard and the Digicel and Lime websites I'm not sure if I need to get a prepaid phone talk plan first and then add data to it or if I can just activate a data sim and use it in the router.

I have a lot more questions on the mechanics of this but I'll stop here for now.

Last edited by beerMe; 01/01/2015 03:41 AM.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!