I very rarely post, but I saw something last night that has me worried. Are charter companies not checking sailing resumes any longer? Last night around sunset, a Navigare Lagoon 46 with 5 men came into Kelly Cove (Norman Island) and attempted to pick up a day mooring that isn't designed for overnight use. But instead of standing at the bow of the boat, they were on the stern steps trying to snag the line from the side. It looked like they had one line running from the stern cleat and then they initially tied it off to the starboard bow cleat. As they tried to figure out how the lines were supposed to go, they had the boat in gear with no one at the helm and it continued to spin around the ball for 10 - 15 minutes. Eventually, they got the starboard line corrected but the ball was still on the outside rather than between the hulls. Then they ran another line from the forward port cleat on the outside and tried to push it under the hull with the boat hook. Eventually, they got the ball in front of the boat but the lines were still on the outsides of the hulls. Finally, they attached the anchor bridle to the entire thing and went inside.

It's bad enough that Navigare put one of their own boats in danger. But if the wind had picked up, this boat could've come loose and done significant damage to the other boats nearby. It's my understanding that Navigare has way too many boats in their fleet and are now offering deep discounts to get them out on the water. Based on what I witnessed last night, it would appear that they don't care who they rent to either, as long as they're making money.

Here's a link to a video we captured...

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/EHWUfRrgD90?si=NZAmXbCD__SH75gY[/video]