I'm looking at options for a warm weather family Christmas vacation in 2015 and am considering a bareboat vacation. I have bare boated several times in the past and sail my own boat in the northeast. However, I have never sailed, or even been on, a catamaran.

My question is: Would my 76 year old mother-in-law be able to handle it? She is in great shape, agile, and spry, has no medical issues, and she has enjoyed day-sailing on my boat in New York. She manages to get in and out of the dinghy (both from the dock and the boat) with only a little bit of help.

I wouldn't want to take her on an extended sail in a monohull because I'd worry that the rolling, heeling,and pitching motions would send her flying as she tried to move around the boat. Is a catamaran stable enough to bring elderly passengers aboard?

BTW--I know this is the BVI board, but I'm leaning towards Abacos for this one because I'm guessing the waters would be more sheltered. I wanted to post the question here because this forum is chock full of experienced catamaran sailors.

Thanks,

George