This is obviously poor judgment on the skippers behalf but lets not misrepresent all bareboaters. In fact, I am simply AMAZED that this is not MORE common. There are thousands and thousands of bareboat charters every year. You have varying levels of skill, on a boat they generally have never sailed before, in a cruising ground they generally ahve never been before, typically w crew they have not always sailed with, and where everyone is trying to do as much as possible, including drinking and having fun. The truth it is REMARKABLE how little you hear about yahoos crashing into reefs. Overall, I am very impressed at how well and how safe the charter record is. Yes, anecdotal situations make it easy for those of us whom have never had a serious mistake to suggest that the overall skill level is subpar. I am a serious sailor, have bareboated probably 16 times, try and prepare well, have rules for my crew, and while I have never had a major incident, I also know that inherent in our beloved sport is risk and while you can and should always work to minimize it, you can not eliminate it. Some of the best sailors I have ever known have hit other boats and run a ground. This guy may have been a complete idiot, totally irresponsible and should have avoided this or he was a good sailor and make a series of horrible mistakes - or maybe there was a boat malfunction, or whatever. Just sayin we need to recognize all the responsible bareboaters and not always focus on the few bad ones.