warren460 said:
I think it goes way beyond getting to and provisioning the boat. A competent yard and available services is also critical. I have no idea as to the caiiber available on st thomas. I'm sure Jay does.

This is less of an issue for me obviously because I keep twenty boats running and have access to suppliers and contractors that wouldn't be readily available to the general public.

That being said we have a Budget Marine, Island Marine outfitters and a good Yanmar dealer on island. Volvo not so much. As for the yard I had my boat hauled at Independent last year for bottom work. It worked out ok. If I was going to haul for Hurricane season I would go to Puerto Rico or Spanish Town, Nanny Cay is full. That has little to do with where to keep the boat for ease of use. You don't have to haul the same place you dock.

St Thomas is just plain old more accessible. Better flights, more flights, less expensive flights. So if the goal is to have it in the water and ready to use then that's a no brainer. If you want it hauled while your gone then talk to Nanny Cay they have a program for that and I'm sure Evan will be along shortly to talk about it. He has done it both ways.

Jay