With permission of Debbie Jacobsen Korotkin, I am sharing a post that she made on another site concerning a car rental she made in SXM. I thought it would be good info for everyone on this board. I only know what she posted so cannot answer any questions. This is FYI.

"I feel it is necessary to warn you about a scam/extortion. We went to return our rental car (Budget) and were informed we were involved in a hit and run in Philipsburg the day before. We were not even there. They said witnesses came forward with our license plate. They said they had pictures. We said "fine- show us, because we weren't there." The picture was of a SUV with the side pushed in. We had a tiny Toyota Yaris, and we had not a scratch on it. They said the guy we hit was an important man and he was coming over with his car. Meanwhile, we had to catch our plane. The guy, XXXXXXXXX, came over, and low and behold the dent in the SUV didn't even line up with the bumper of our car. They said they would not call the police if we paid. We told them to call the police. We then googled XXXXXXXX and found XXXXXXXXXXXX (edit as the information was incorrect). We called our attorney who told us to call Budget US Headquarters and the St. Maarten Police. The former is investigating. The latter said this scam is not uncommon, but they would not take a complaint over the phone- we had to come in! We took tons of photos, so we have that. Please watch out and be aware of this!"

The original information was incorrect and has been removed.

Last edited by Eric_Hill; 03/02/2015 11:31 AM.