Sail445 - I put a 92 page study link available for you to read, not from National Geographic, but from the University of West Indie/Barbados government. You should read more and talk less.

Danny- great question. From what I've been able to find, a recent USVI study was completed in 2013, Puerto Rico is on going, most recent numbers as of 2012, that I've found. But, I have found nothing specific to BVI waters completed recently. It would be great if this debate could result in the BVI participating in a study locally again, as was done in the 90's.

It's ironic, but on my first visit to the BVI's I bought a book of poetry written by local students of Issabella Morris School (I think that was the name). The main topic was conservation, specifically sea turtles. A young girl named Akesha Smith, I think she was 8-9 years old, wrote a great poem about conserving the sea turtles environment. Considering her age, I was very impressed.

Anyway- it was obvious to me at that time communication and understanding on environmental studies was being addressed in the BVI's educational system. Hopefully that's still the case.

It's a beautiful place! The people are friendly and hospitable and I as a visitor certainly don't want to change the culture. Saving a species from extinction should be all of our responsibility, transcending culture, race, geography etc.

Last edited by Kona1; 03/09/2015 08:23 PM.

Cheers!