Thanks to all for news of Bernadine. We weren't able to go to SXM this year..we were in Guadeloupe..scuba diving/work and we worry about how Bernadine is doing. Knowing we couldn't see her she sent us a card dated Feb. 16th....
"Dear Jim and Judy, I have received your package via your friends..(SXM Norm) and thank you all for the nice thoughts. Here lots of changing, just by me lots on construction. I do not like it but that's progress.
Hurricane Gonzalo left me with lots of repairs to be done.
As we are early in the season I have to wait and see how the shop runs..money wise..but besides, all is well. All the furry friends are ok..just 2 more to the family.When I look at the calendars of Canada, to me that's life. Peaceful, clean and all nature, just my kind of life. Work is good so take some time and enjoy life a little and hope to see you soon all in SXM.Give my love to Judy. All the best for the new year, love Bernadine"
Some thoughts of mine..I hadn't read much about Bernadine after Gonzalo but by her note she obviously had more problems from damage than we knew. As for Canada..among other things we send her calendars that show Canada and one time as we were sitting at her picnic table enjoying a drink together she remarked about how nice Canada looked in the pictures and maybe she could move to Canada and set up her rum shop. I replied that she probably could...for about 17 hours until the police showed up! She was stunned when I explained to her how much are lives are regulated here. The other things Bernadine didn't know is our life, here, 30 miles east of Toronto - the largest city in Canada is anything but peaceful, clean and nature. But, that's our choice and Bernadine would be shocked if she knew how much pleasure we get out of sitting with her, overlooking Orient Bay, and just enjoying the simple life. As for her life, I personally wish it was a little more secure for her so she didn't have to worry where the next dollar/euro is coming from so she can look after herself and feed her critters.Actually I got that in reverse..Bernadine looks after her critters first and if there's anything left over it will be for herself.