My thoughts exactly Teammac.

Just providing an update for anyone who might be interested.

I ended up buying a Simmons Laser Range Finder, just like the one listed here for $75 plus shipping on ebay. I tested it out the day I got it and it seemed to work quite well. Along with price, one of the reasons I went with this model is that it uses relatively readily available standard 9 volt batteries. Most of the units I looked at seemed to use specialty batteries.

I'm spending a few hundred bucks on gear (150lb mushroom anchor, chain, swivels, shackles, mooring ball, etc) to plop a mooring in a crowded little creek that will also be close to docks in front of people's homes. To me, it's worth it to spend $80 more to help me be reassured that I'm not infringing on anyone's riparian rights or on the swing radius of others' already placed moorings. It's a long story, but my last mooring was stolen (ball removed, chain tied to a white Clorox jug with twine not strong enough to raise the heavy chain back to the surface), even though I am pretty (99.99%) certain that it was not in anyone's way. Like I said, it's a long story. Along with adding a padlock this time (to secure the ball to the top of the chain), I just want to make 110% sure that my placement does not interfere with anyone else. This will help me achieve that. I also figure I will bring it with me to the islands and it can help me make sure when anchoring at off the beaten path spots that my swing radius when the wind shifts won't intersect with that rock or the shoreline.

Hoping to de-winterize the boat and place the mooring this weekend.