I always hate to disagree with Carol but the "feel" on the French and Dutch sides could not be more stark. If you like Miami go to the Dutch side..concrete jungles, horrible traffic and you can get better food in your home town. I agree with timmycs if it were not for the French side we would have never gone back after the first visit.

The French side is way more quiet (good or bad), nothing is over 4 stories and you can "feel" like you are in a European village. You can find food everywhere there that will blow your mind...assuming you are somewhat adventurous and, yes, it will cost you but no more than the "best" in your home town.

The low lands are great but as mentioned you will be renting true villas, often on the beach for fairly serious money. Great option for family's or two or more couples. There are large numbers of condos and apartments for rent in the Orient area. I have nothing against Grand Case as a place to stay but Orient has many more accommodation, beach and lunch options and it literally 10 minutes away. Marrigot is further but within reach (love to lunch there on bad beach days). To me Nettle is the worst of everything. Mount Vernon is hit and miss because the units are individually owned and it is way out of the way (far end of Orient).

Do the French side, it may change your life as it did mine. Stay in Orient, near the village, walk Orient beach, do lunch at one of the many fine French beach restaurants and then stroll into Le Piment and prepare for Christelle to take you on a ride...